Senior Executive Service (SES) Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) – Consulting, Training, Coaching & Writing Services
Diane specializes in posturing federal and non-federal employees to enter the federal government’s Senior Executive Service (SES).
Reaching the aspiration of Senior Executive Service is certainly attaining the pinnacle government position! Getting there may be a culmination of many years of leadership experience gained in Corporate America, or climbing the ladder through civil service or the military – being groomed for SES or even completing an SES Candidate Development Program (CDP). However, the process requires a lengthy application focused on leadership competencies and leadership storytelling.
Diane is co-author of The New Senior Executive Service Application , the first-ever book written on how to write the Five-page SES ECQ-based Resume, and the definitive guide to writing the varied and complex SES and ECQ resumes/application packages/portfolios including the traditional 10-page ECQ format. She is a popular and experienced trainer in Senior Executive Service, ECQ, TQ (Technical Qualifications), KSA, and Federal Resume Writing topics, as well as writer and editor of these comprehensive applications for SES Candidate Leadership Development program (CDP) candidates. She also trains senior-level clients in mastering the structured behavior-based interview process.
Personal ECQ Coaching & Writing
>> Diane’s leadership coaching and writing track record for re-submission to OPM is 100% upon rewrite.
As a multi-credentialed career coach and executive resume writer specializing in coaching clients to define their strengths and persuasively demonstrate their leadership abilities and decision making via their leadership stories, Diane has a knack for analyzing clients’ core leadership qualifications and charting them to match OPM’s (Office of Personnel Management) leadership competencies required to pass the Qualifications Review Board (QRB). She has a 100% track record of her clients becoming certified by the QRB.
Diane also works with clients to identify leadership competency gaps, and provides coaching and support in filling the gaps with detail, lateral, upgrade, and CDP assignments. She works with clients long-term and customizes each project.
Here is a comment from a successful client for which Diane rewrote the candidate’s ECQs after receiving a Disapproval Letter:
I want to personally thank you for your outstanding and successful efforts on behalf of our candidate. I did not know how this round with the QRB would go and all of us dreaded thinking what would happen if the certification was denied a second time. But thankfully with your assistance we were successful, Yeah! So thank you, thank you and I will not hesitate to reach out to you for our next certification challenge, and I will certainly recommend your company to anyone asking for a recommendation. Until we talk again, I wish you the very best.” – Director of Administration, RRB
Executive Core Qualification Statements / SES ECQ Training Workshops
Some of the attendees in Diane’s ECQ writing and behavior-based interviewing classes go on to write their own ECQs successfully – and pass the QRB – or they write the ECQs based on the training and then have Diane edit the leadership stories before submission.
Here is a sample of the coaching and training Diane provides:
Diane, thank you so much. I have my office at home set up as a War Room. I CCARd my top ten stories which will form a better ECQ and has me much more prepared for the interview with laser-focused results. Your tips including body language, clothes, posture, etc., were great. I have been public speaking and teaching since 1996 including taking a Dale Carnegie course. You gave pointers and insights that were more effective for me. You described what was needed and why succinctly. I wanted to share with you how well the logical approach and explanations have tightened up my preparations for the interview. Also, your time with us would be best summed up one way, you care. Your stories of follow-through with clients makes it clear to me this isn’t just your job you see it as your purpose. As I look down the road there is far more I want to do and achieve and at my age, there is a renewed energy I wish I had earlier. Although I have read or watched the majority of leadership books, autobiographies, biographies, tedTalks etc., I never thought about how I could benefit. My sincerest thanks, Steve.” (Navy Ship Yard, Washington, DC – newly appointed SES)
Comments from SES ECQ Training Workshop Participants
A number of participants in Diane’s SES / ECQ writing classes have stated that they wished they had learned about the leadership competencies, the CCAR (Challenge, Context, Actions, and Results) format for writing the ECQ essays and Technical Qualification statements, and developing the executive resume much earlier in their careers – even as early as GS-9. Learning early helps employees grow up the professional ladder, gaining leadership competencies according to the Leadership Journey chart (showcased in the book).
Here is a sampling of comments and top take-aways from course participants:
- “I wish I could tap into Diane’s brain. She’s extremely knowledgeable and very helpful.”
- “I wish the program was about two days longer.”
- “Diane Hudson was Outstanding in presenting the SES ECQ writing materials!”
- “[I am] confident that I have to the tools necessary to pursue an SES position.”
- “I think the course provides a great understanding of the process and what will be required in the application process.”
- “I very much appreciated the personal touch to video the interview for play back.”
- “This was a very good presentation of an easy way to pull keywords and use them.”
- “I am extremely confident that the SES writing class will improve my chances of getting Best Qualified for an SES position.”
- “I personally wish the class could have been longer.”
- “I very much enjoyed Diane Hudson’s instruction and insightful, constructive reviews of my draft ECQs conducted in a one-on-one session. All of us had sufficient time to write ECQs and get feedback on our efforts. I’ll continue to complete and hone my draft ECQs, as well as amend my resume to conform to the principles I have learned from this class. Thanks!”
- “I did attend the ECQ writing course, and really appreciated it. I learned a great deal. The course was a perfect example of the old saying “the more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really know.” The instruction was great and targeted. I feel it helped me toward taking the next step in my career. As always, I wish it were longer… but it was truly beneficial.”
In a two-day workshop, participants will develop the outline for several ECQ essays, prepare the SES resume, and learn to chart the ECQs. Additionally, participants will engage in a mock structured interview session. We offer one-day, two-day and half-day ECQ writing workshops.
In the past five+ years, Diane has traveled more than 550,000 flight miles training thousands of job seekers and career coaches in professional resume development including scores of classes at government agencies and military bases in the USA, Puerto Rico, Korea, and Europe. Past performance / instruction experience includes training for or at:
- Senior federal (GS-14/15), and broadening experience instruction for GS-12/13s
- Commander’s Leadership Development Program at the Naval Ship Yard
- Air Force Headquarters
- Air Force Reserve Command (Senior Military Officers – 0-5/0-6/0-7)
- US Army Missile Command
- US Southern Command
- US Army Special Operations
- US Railroad Retirement Board (RRB)
- General Services Administration (GSA)
- Defense Acquisition University (DAU)
- Environment Protection Agency (EPA)
- Patent and Trademark Office (PTO)
- Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) – including leadership coaching and writing for 3 CDP iterations
- FEMA (HQs and specialized ECQ and leadership story development training for the FEMA Pinnacle program in New York City, Virginia (Darden School of Business) and, Washington, DC)
- Department of Treasury (IG Tax Administration) (TIGTA)
- Bureau of Land Management (BLM)
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA) – Scientific Fellows
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP)
- Office of Natural Resource Revenue (ONNR), and others
Simply contact us or call 208-323-9636 for more information on Senior Executive Service or GS-14/15 or CDP (federal government) Resumes and Executive Core Qualification Statements (ECQs) coaching, writing or training.